Monday, March 7, 2011

Key Club

On 24th Feb, our school partcipated in an exciting start of a new group called Key Club, an international student-led organization whic provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character and develop leadership. It works under the mission:
 "To develop competent, capable and caring leaders through the vehicle of service"

    The service leaders from respective groups have come together the previous day and voted to nominate and elect the board memebers and directors. The leadership structure was thus formed: President (Damien Martin); Vice President (Harini Liyanage); Secretary (Annie Gillstedt); Treasurer (Terunaga Tamura); Editor (Heesoo Kim) with the directors(Aparna, Sandushi, Keisha, Maheshi and Avin)


Our new board memebers and directors of the first Key Club in Sri Lanka!


Me! Just assigned! I washappy to meet one of the Kiwanis members, who will be sponsoring us and guiding us throughout.

    I am happy to be working in this new exciting project as an editor in addition to participation and have following responsibilities which I am very willing and glad to take and hope to succesfully accomplish in cooperation with my fellow members. As a club editor, I am responsible for advertising, pulic relations, communications and general publicity. This role requires time and knowledge on distric and international events in addition to the current club projects and plans which I am aware that i must have good knowledge of. I hope that this new assignment is an extension of my holistic learning where I can also bring in the diplomacy, knowledge, communication and evaluation skills that I would have nurtured in CO-MUN.
I really hope that I can improve as an effective communicator (in various forms as my job invovles working with the local and internatioanl communities in many ways such as publishing, announcing etc), build strong leadership whilst working in collaboration with others, plan more thoroughly whilst keeping in mind the needs of different service groups as well as keeping in mind the different world events and evaluative skillls as a team by means of effective communication.

  In addition, I also had the previlege of working as an MC for the inauguration of the members and installation of the first Key Club in Sri Lanka at our school. It was very last minute and thus although I had not much time to practice, I was glad that I was putting myself into an unfamiliar situation and became a risk-taker to conduct the meeting and speak infront of the public with much improvization whilst communicating clearly. Thankfully, the Key club installation ceremony was a good success and I really thought that public speaking skills I have developed in MUN (once again) really helped me to develop as a communicator and risk-taker in a sudden and unexpected situation.

This is me, as an MC during the Key Club installation ceremony.



  Now that we have taken the first step, I really hope we make the Key Club, as the first generation members in Sri Lanka, a big success where we can come up with practical, helpful and relevant decisions carried out in effective ways to reflect on our global awareness and caring attitude for our communities and environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment