Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Piano-Chopin Nocturne and other pieces!


For about past 3 weeks, I have been concentrating on completing and mastering the Chopin Nocturne with my piano instructor. Reading and playing the notes was quite easy and about after 2 days, I pretty much learnd them well. Then, the next lesson (23rd December) I initiated on analyzing the piece in depth, and some of it is shown on the piece (photograph).





The concept that I grasped  after working on this piece with my piano teacher was to make it as if I were telling a secret to my friend. It was pretty confusing at the beginning because it meant re-working on my touches, applying pedals differently, using shoulder weights where appropriate and brining about some climax. I used my musical background knowledge especially on Chopin and experience to apply it to my performance and in order to communicate through music, I became more of an inquirer by listening to different pianists playing to analyze and feel what message and kind of music they were trying to convey. I found the Chopin Councour particularly helpful, because the competing pianists in that concour went beyond to an extent where thier facial expressions, body movements and quality of sound really touched me. I also inquired more knowledge by reading different texts on Chopin and his music at the point which he would have been writing this piece. Applying new knowledge, experience and critical thinking and analysis, I showed perseverance, enthusiasm and reflective skills with the pracitce of 2~3 hours each day and recording each playing to discover more aspects for improvement. I realized, from listening to my playing, I need to make the trills a bit lighter and brighter in order to fuse some liveliness into it, which I should be working on continually.


No comments:

Post a Comment