Saturday, February 12, 2011

Piano Battle

After watching the movie clip Battle of the piano and watching one of my favourite pop pianists Shin Ji-hyo, I decided to learn and master the Piano Battle series. This series, consisting of three pieces/movements, includes different arrangements and some modifications based on Classical music, including Chopin's Black keys from his Etude and Chopin's Waltzes.  I have already mastered most of Chopin's Etudes and Waltzes, and I was thus curious as to what kind of potential these pieces had in terms of interpreting them into a modern New-age or pop genre music. Also, I was motivated to become a risktaker by stepping out of my comfort zone and try something new and creative. Based on my skills and ability, I could develop my skills further apply them to satisfy my curiousity and love for piano.

I first watched various performances by different artists and tried to interpret thier style, use of pedals and weight, emotions and facial expressions. This helped me communicate with these musicians by understanding the creative ideas they are trying to convey.  Then I read through the notes twice to understand the basic structure and movement and soon I was able to have play the outline of the music. Since the notes were arranged without finger numbering or any musical instructions, I took some time developing my own method and finger numbering, which was succesful. This was important as it is a speedy piece and requires much accuracy and strength. Therefore, reflecting thoroughly on my needs to complete my goal succesfully and thinking carefully how to use pedals effectively with appropriate finger&weight helped me to achieve this and enhance my strenghts as a pinist, which includes clarity, strength and accuracy.

Practicing them thoroughly for the first 2 days in order to prevent missing any notes or making any unclear/messy sounds, I became more confident and aware of my strengths. Then, after this training period, I was able to play them with confidence and more freely and communicate more effectively, which is exactly what I planned doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment