Thursday, November 17, 2011

Piano: Beethoven Virus Jazz/Pop-Piano version

Beethoven Virus is a widely known name for the Beethovn SONATE Op.13, Pathetique, the third movement. I have alraedy mastered all the three movements of Op 13 and have been practising them reguarly. However, I also came across the Jazz version of the 3rd movement sometime ago when I watched the street performance in Korea and since then, I always wanted to play this. This is a reflection of me broadening out to different genres of music and learning them.

I played it by ear, which enabled me to focus more on the emotion and flow of the music when I listen and play  but realized my weakeness that some of the chords are missing and I need more technical instructions. I found the notes during the summer with my friend in Korea and as soon as I got back to Sri Lanka, I began to learn the notes and play them in a more technical way. It is a semi-Jazz version, editec by Jay, one of the composers I like. This version requires more personal response, as it does not indicate specfic places to use pedals or control the tempo. Therefore, I spent a lot of time listening to the music and took notes, where I interpreted it and decided how to control the pedal, tempo and touch.

As a result of practising regularly and becoming more comfortable with this piece, I think I am pretty good in expressing both technical and emotional aspects of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment