Saturday, February 26, 2011

MUN Practice Debate (ECOSOC)

 On 29th January  and 12th February 2011, I participated in the pracitce debate as I am the delegate of Malaysia of ECOSOC. The debates, which started at 8:00 in the morning and finished at 5:00, were intense and yet a successful sessions. The topics for the debate sessions I attended to were:

Debate 1: "MDSs 2015 and beyond; reviewing thier successes and targets thereafter"
Debate 2: "Stateless persons and naturalization; thier contribution to economic development"

In order to make the most out of these sessions as they will help me in the real conference which is coming up pretty soon in March, I researched about Malaysia's international stance on each issues from various sources (thus inquiring, becoming more knowledgeable, principled and reflective), evaluated the relevance of such information and used them in my dealings with the other delegates by communicating with them through the debate. It required a lot of perseverance, balance and openmindedness as there were a number of contradicting arguments and stances, especially when it comes to writing resolutions. For example, in my first pracitce debate, I was invovled in the creation of the resolution ECOSOC/01/01, which was submitted along UK, Lichtenstein, Saudi Arabia etc against the other nations resolutions. Both resolutions were put to the test in terms of their effectiveness and validity and thus I had to show a lot of patience and commitment to thoroughly examine many operative clauses that were submitted and tackle them if found faulty.

The practice debates really helped me to develop as a knowledgeable, balanced, open-minded and effective communicator. I developed in my quality of research, preparing different speeches for suitable topics, quality of language and broadening my perspective of the global issues that were now placed on our hands. I now need to work towards becoming a better public speaker who knows the materials thoroughly to be able to better response to different questions raised by other nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment